April 8, 2019
HPHA's more than 450 volunteers are an invaluable part of the hospital team and play a vital role in supporting care and service. From the Board Room to the bedside their contributions range from greeting and wayfinding to assisting patients and staff, to fundraising and planning special events, along with serving as Patient Partners.
During National Volunteer Week, April 7-13, 2019, HPHA is proud to recognize our remarkable volunteers and we offer our sincerest appreciation for all the ways that they impact the patient experience!
The theme for this year's volunteer week is “Volunteers: Lifting Communities” - something we see everyday - our volunteers lifting the spirits of our patients, families and staff and that of the broader community we serve. Volunteering can also give volunteers a lift. When we volunteer, our spirits are lifted when we have the opportunity to work with others. Our sense of purpose is lifted when we see how our efforts have helped someone else. Our confidence lifts when we gain skills and experience through volunteering, helping us get into a competitive school program or successfully find a job.
During this special week, HPHA will host our annual Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon at the Mitchell Golf & Country Club. We encourage our staff and patients to extend their thanks to our volunteers, not just during this week, but upon each interaction they share!
Did you know?
- HPHA has 481 volunteers, which includes hospital volunteers, auxiliary members, board members, local advisory committee members and patient partners. In the 2018/19 fiscal year 40 new volunteers joined the team!
- Volunteers range in age from students to seniors and come from all different backgrounds such as retired professionals, former staff members and new members of our communities! Our youngest volunteer is 16 years old and our oldest is 93!
- A number of volunteers (14 to be exact) are part of the “over 40 club” meaning they have provided 40 plus years of service to our organization!
- 82% of our volunteers are female and 18% are male.
- Over 300,000 volunteer hours were logged in the 2018/19 fiscal year.
- Our volunteers and auxiliaries fundraised over $118,000 for the purchase of medical equipment for our four hospital sites!