What's For Dinner? Mediterranean Roasted Beef and Veggies!
This colorful, nutrient-rich dinner cooks all at once, for minimal fuss. Serve with cooked couscous, quinoa, rice or pasta.
Preheat oven to 275°F (140°C)
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 plum (Roma) tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 small Spanish onion, cut into 12 wedges
- 1 baby eggplant, cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 small zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 oz. mushrooms, quartered
- 4 tbsp basil pesto, divided
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 lb boneless beef sirloin tip or inside round oven roast
- pinch each of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp liquid honey
Rimmed baking sheet, lined with foil and foil greased
Heavy ovenproof sauté pan or skillet with rack
Lightly spray prepared baking sheet with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine garlic, tomatoes, onion, eggplant, red pepper, yellow pepper, zucchini, mushrooms and 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the pesto; toss to coat. Spread evenly on prepared baking sheet; set aside.
In ovenproof sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Cook beef, turning with tongs, for about 10 minutes or until browned all over. Spread the remaining pesto over roast. Place on rack in the same sauté pan.
Roast beef and vegetables in preheated oven for about 11⁄2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the roast registers 140°F (60°C) for medium- rare, or until desired doneness. Transfer roast to a cutting board, tent with foil and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
Using a rubber spatula, scrape vegetables into a large bowl. Add vinegar and honey; toss to coat.
Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. Serve with vegetables.
- Set aside 2 cups (500 mL) each of the roasted veggies and slivered thinly sliced roasted beef to make the next day's main course salad or sandwich.