January 8, 2020
What's For Dinner? Cabbage Roll Casserole!
This casserole provides all the flavour of cabbage rolls without the work of rolling them!
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. (500 g) extra lean ground sirloin*
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped cabbage
- 1 can (28 oz./796 mL) diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup (175 mL) long grain brown rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced vegetable or beef broth
- In large skillet with lid, heat canola oil over medium. Sauté onions and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef. Brown for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add cabbage, tomatoes, rice and broth and stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. If preferred instead, after bringing mixture to a boil, bake in oven-proof skillet with lid in 350°F (180°C) oven for about 40 minutes.
*To make vegetarian, use 1 can (19 fl oz; 540 mL) of lentils, rinsed and drained, in place of the sirloin. Simply skip step 2 of the instructions and add the lentils with the other ingredients in step 3.
Reducing the amount of salt in meals is important for managing blood pressure. Canned foods and broths are often high in salt. For heart-healthy options, choose reduced sodium or no-salt-added versions.
Source: Diabetes Canada
Diabetes Education at HPHA!
Are you or someone you love living with Diabetes?
Find out about the services offered by our Diabetes Education Team by clicking here!