Going home after a hospital stay can be a stressful
experience - when to take your medication,
what symptoms to be concerned about, who to call, etc.
To help ease this stress for our patients and
caregivers, HPHA has adopted a new tool; Patient Oriented Discharge
Summary (PODS). PODS is a tool that was co-designed by patients,
caregivers and health care providers to
provide patients and caregivers with easy-to-understand information and
instructions to follow once they return home from hospital.
patients, caregivers and care providers to communicate more effectively to help
improve the patient’s experience of transition from hospital to home.
PODs at HPHA
At this time, PODS is being used with the following patient populations:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary (COPD) at Clinton Public Hospital
- Mental Health at Stratford General Hospital
- Transurethral Resection of Prostate (TURP) on the Surgery Unit at Stratford General Hospital
If you are a patient in these areas you will receive a PODS from your health care provider. and they will go through it with you and your cargeiver/supporter. The following will be discussed:
You will also be given pointers to useful information and contact information
with phone numbers should any questions or concerns arise about your condition.
- Upcoming appointments
- How you can expect to feel
- Danger signals
and what to do
- Any lifestyle changes you may need to make
How will PODS help?
- PODS welcomes caregivers and supporters as partners in care
- PODS helps make discharge more efficient for the patient and caregiver
- PODS provides effective and consistent education for the patient and caregiver
- PODS is easy for the patient and caregiver to use and understand
- PODS includes post discharge follow up and provides confidence in managing care at home
We want to hear from you!
If you have used PODS and have any feedback about your experience, please contact the Patient Experience at 519-272-8210 ext. 2737 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org